Sunday, August 28, 2011

Subitizing….huh?

My first week of teaching 1st grade for the first time in 11 years of teaching is over. I think I’ve been learning just as much as the students have been learning! I have been introducing WBT (whole brain teaching) to the students and they’ve been doing well with it. If you have been teaching with the enVision math series these first weeks of school, then the next bit of info should be helpful.

I’ve learned a new word, subitizing. What is it? Well, basically it is being able to see a group and be able to tell how many there are in the group without having to count them. As teachers, we use dice and dot cards to teach and reinforce this skill. There are some great freebies out there that help to teach this skill. Click below to see the links on subitizing (scroll down when you get there).

image

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the links! Here's another great package of activities that I've used. I make sets of the dot cards on construction paper for my kiddies to take home and practice with their parents - parents are "students" and the kiddies are the "teachers"! They love telling grown ups if they're wrong or right!
    If the link doesn't work, google Winnipeg Numeracy Project Dot Cards and Ten frames

    http://www.edplus.canterbury.ac.nz/literacy_numeracy/maths/numdocuments/dot_card_and_ten_frame_package2005.pdf

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SOOO much for sharing these links! My math interventionist just told me I need to work on subitizing with my kiddos! So glad to find some resources.

    Ms. Preppy's Adventures in Primary and Polka Dots

    ReplyDelete