Sunday, May 24, 2015

CCSS Critical Vocabulary--How do you teach it to K-1?

Teaching the CCSS critical vocabulary to K-1 students has been on my mind lately, as seen in my previous post here. I'm aware that the upper elementary teachers are hoping and praying that we K-1 teachers are introducing the 20+ highly rigorous vocabulary words throughout our school year. Raise your hand if you made that goal this year [hand is raised]. Raise your hand if you want a better handle on how to do it for next year [hands waving emphatically in the air]. Well, maybe I'm not that overly excited about it but I know that it is something I need to buckle down it git-r-dun!

First off, I've started printing anchor charts for this next school year. There are some teachers out there who have made some products for the purpose of teaching the critical vocabulary, but I couldn't quite find what I was looking for in my own classroom...so, I made them. I wanted to use all of the words designated for K-1 in one well-known story. I chose "Goldilocks and the Three Bears". This story is a well-loved story in primary grades and easy for ELL students to learn. Now until Memorial Day 2015, they are available in my TPT store for a discount.

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/CCSS-Critical-Vocabulary-Anchor-Charts-and-Word-Wall-Words-Kindergarten-1869436

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/CCSS-Critical-Vocabulary-Anchor-Charts-and-Word-Wall-Words-First-1st-Grade-1869397

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/CCSS-Critical-Vocabulary-Anchor-Charts-and-Word-Wall-Words-K-1-Bundle-1869560

I'll be posting more throughout the summer on this topic. Ahh, summer, why are you 6 days away from me?

No comments:

Post a Comment